The Australian Artisan Cheese & Wine Experience is a short course showcasing the best of Australia’s cheese making talents matched with some great Australian wines.
Between 2007-2017, Australia’s premier cheese and wine experience was showcased out on Fort Denison, Sydney Harbour before being relocated to the UNESCO world heritage-listed Cockatoo Island, Sydney Harbour between 2017-18. This unique culinary event is currently being relocated to a new and exciting venue in Circular Quay, soon to be announced.
As well as being a delicious and fantastic showcase of Australian beverages, this experience is a fantastic introduction to the local and growing boutique cheese industry. Unbeknown to many, Sydney Harbour has a rich history of Australia’s milk and cheese industry being the location where cattle from England were offloaded from the First Fleet boats in 1788 onto the sandbank that is today famously known as Bennelong Point. Originally called Cattle Point, the cattle were held in makeshift enclosures in the area now home to the Opera House. Agritourism Events Australia is bringing farmhouse Australian cheese back to Sydney Harbour.
Your tour guide and an experienced host
Your culinary tourism experience provider and event host will be cheese expert Claudia Bowman.
On arrival, Claudia will greet you with a savoury canapé and glass of award winning Australian sparkling or craft beer. After a brief introductory welcome presentation and acknowledgement of country, Claudia Bowman will invite guests to be seated for the culinary experience to commence.
This 90-minute experience is valued at $125p/p and includes
This experience is valued at $150p/p and typically runs for approx. 75 minutes.
The experience includes:
- Australian sparkling wine or craft beer on arrival;
- 1 canapé on arrival (and 1 sweet canapé throughout the experience);
- 6-8 Australian artisan cheese examples;
- 1-2 international artisan cheese examples;
- 3 Australian wines (red, white, dessert) with craft beer & single-malt whisky often showcased;
- Tasting notes;
- 75 minutes with cheese expert & International Cheese Judge Claudia Bowman (World Cheese Awards 2011 UK & 2017 UK).
At the end of the experience you will
At the end of the experience you will:
- Have experienced exceptional Australian farmhouse cheeses;
- Be able to talk confidently about the different types and styles of cheese and the varieties experienced;
- Have an understanding as to the background of cheese in general as well as specific to Australia and how our local dairy industry has progressed over 230 years;
- Have a better understanding of your own personal preference to various cheeses;
- Understand basic pairing principles between cheese and beverages — wine & beer;
- Enjoyed premium award winning Australian beverages as an accompaniment to the cheese;
- Have been entertained, indulged and inspired by international cheese expert Claudia Bowman’s passion for and knowledge of all things cheese!