As Australia’s largest cheese education and appreciation company, we specialise in tasting events with Artisan and Farmhouse Cheeses produced by the very best cheese makers from Australia and around the world.
We support and promote cheese makers who use the kind of traditional cheese making techniques that are endangered by modernisation and standardisation in the food industry. We and are proud advocates of ‘Slow Food’ principles, which protect the biodiversity and quality of our supplier’s cheese. With these suppliers, our principled foundations and a commitment to excellence in presentation, research and anticipating customer needs, McIntosh and Bowman set the standard in cheese catering and education.
We aim to boost the Australian public’s knowledge of and interest in the wonderful world of cheese through a series of appreciation courses, activities, cheese making workshops and local and international cheese tours.
Since 2006 McIntosh & Bowman Cheesemongers have been offering cheese lovers of Australia the opportunity to explore and indulge their passion for all things cheese with a variety of tasting events, culinary tours and cheese making workshops.
International Cheese Expert, Claudia Bowman (nee McIntosh), of the ‘McIntosh & Bowman’ partnership is the face of the company and has been the driving force and inspiration, drawing from her original and exceptional experiences abroad.
Her passion for cheese is immense and for the past 11 years she has immersed herself in cheese focused activities around the world.
Her experience includes:
- Completing the UK Cheese Guild Diploma gaining a High Distinction.
- Working at Sheridan’s Cheese Mongers, Ireland’s most prestigious cheese retailer/wholesaler, for 1 year, also running their farmers market stall in the famous Temple Bar.
- Doing work experience with Neal’s Yard Dairy, London and working for them in Italy at Cheese! The Slow Food ‘International Cheese Festival’ in Bra, Piedmonte.
- Judging and assisting at cheese competitions including, ‘The British Cheese Awards’, England 2005; where she judged three categories.
- Making a raw cows milk, washed rind, vegetarian rennet cheese, south of the Belfast border with Irish Cheese maker ‘Silke Cropp’.
- Attending courses run by international cheese expert Juliet Harbutt in Britain 2005.
- Backpacking around Europe specifically to visit cheese makers and famous cheese shops and regions such as Parma in Reggio Emillia, Italy; home of the famous Parmegiano Cheese.
- In May 2006 Claudia was back in England, again working with the coordinator of the ‘The British Cheese Awards’ helping to organise Britain’s premier cheese event.
- In 2008 Claudia took part in the 54th Fancy Food Show at Jacob K. Javits Centre New York.
- 2008 also saw Claudia representing NSW at ‘Salone del Gusto’ and ‘Terra Madre’ in Italy with the international ‘Slow Food’ organisation in October.
- 2011 June Claudia was busy profiling 750 cheeses from 28 countries for a deluxe cheese application for iPhone and iPads etc
- In July 2011 Claudia was back in NYC for the Cheese Monger Invitational 2011 as a competitor and representative for Australia, in what has been described as the ‘Cheese Olympics’ for cheese mongers.
- In October 2011 McIntosh & Bowman were the official Cheese Partners of Masterchef Live 2011 with 6 masterclasses on stage, a stall selling cheese plates and the new range of Welsh slate cheese boards.
- In November 2011 Claudia accepted a position on the Supreme Panel of International Judges at ‘The World Cheese Awards’ in Birmingham, UK- see The news page for the results and for more detail about her experience
- On 20th December 2011 Claudia launched her iPhone Cheese App ‘Ask The Cheesemonger‘ co-created with award winning development company Protein 1. The app has already been downloaded over 38,000 times from iTunes
- On January 23rd 2012 Claudia was inducted into the most prestigious French cheese association ‘Guilde Internationale des Fromages‘ and awarded the title ‘Garde et Jure’ by official members who had travelled to Australia specifically for the ceremony in Alexandria, Sydney.
- On January 31st 2012 McIntosh & Bowman had reviews in the countries two biggest newspapers: SMH and The Age “Australia’s Dairy Queen” where our ‘Ask The Cheesemonger’ iphone cheese app was rated amongst the world’s top 25 Food Apps.
Claudia’s events and presentations are a way of sharing these unique experiences with cheese lovers in Australia and Asia and are centred around breaking down the barriers that exist in people’s minds regarding the exclusivity of cheese and fine food.